With revenues down, industries in crisis, consumers buying less and wanting different, job losses and the mortgage crisis there is much to be concerned about. The question is: how do we relate and respond to these circumstances … through well justified fear, through hope, though courageous action? The winning formula probably involves elements of all three — acknowledging what is (OMG), envisioning what could be, and taking concrete steps to build a compelling future.
From a leadership perspective, we can ask:
- What am I saying and doing that balances fear, hope and action?
- What are those around me saying and how can I shift the conversation to hope and action?
- Do we need to connect more to the realities of the current situation and break through denial?
- Do we have a view of the future that is brighter than today?
- What plans do we have and what actions can we take to build the future?